With so many opinions and stories about the origins and degree of threat of Swine Flu in the media and on the internet it is hard to know what to believe but the fact remains that it is your immune system that has to be effective if you catch this or any other infection. So, many health conscious people are asking if there are any Natural Remedies or ways to boost or improve their immune systems against Swine Flu.
The fact is, because this is a new virus that you have never been exposed to you will have no immunity too it. That does not mean that you cannot do things to protect yourself against it nor take steps to improve your immune system. And if you are unlucky enough to get Swine flu there are a number of Natural Health Remedies that you can take that can help. I have already posted one article on my Detox Specialist Blog.
I see this pandemic threat as a wake up call to us all to take a look at our immune systems and see if there are ways to improve it. The only people that have died so far from the Swine flu are poor people in Mexico City, one of the most polluted cities in the world. There is no doubt that toxins that get into your body will weaken the immune system and lower your resistance to infection.
Your immune system acts as a waste disposal service, clearing up all the unwanted rubbish. It is part of your body’s detox system. You are bombarded with toxins from food, water and air and things that you put on your skin which accumulate in your body placing an enormous stress on your immune and detox systems.
Your resistance can become compromised by many other reasons such as:
- A diet low in nutrients – you need certain nutrients for your immune system to function such as Vitamins A,C and D, the minerals zinc, selenium and iron, sufficient protein and essential fatty acids (Omega 3 & 6).
- Too much sugar in your diet – Sugar or foods containing it especially between meals is a real killer of the immune system.
- Food allergies- eating foods you are allergic or sensitive to puts a stress on the immune system.
- Too much alcohol – 3 or more drinks can damage the immune system.
- A toxic bowel – a large percentage of the immune system is in the bowel so cleanse & take probiotics.
- Lack of sleep – growth hormone is released during sleep which stimulates the thymus gland repairing and renewing your cells.
- Lack of exercise – transportation of the immune cells throughout the body needs movement of the lymph which in turn depends on adequate exercise.
- Low thyroid function – the thyroid gland plays a crucial role in maintaining the body’s defense system.
- Emotional and physical stress – cortisol produced by the adrenal glands in response to stress suppresses the immune system.
If you think you are developing Swine flu or any viral infection here are few simple things you can do:
- It helps to reduce food intake, get more rest than usual, reduce stress, stay warm and temporarily stop exercise.
- Fasting on liquids for 1 or 2 days is a good way to divert the energy that usually goes into food digestion to fighting the virus. You can drink herbal teas, vegetable juices, and vegetable broths.
- Take Vitamin C to bowel tolerance. 5 – 6 grams or more a day in divided doses can cut short a cold or flu.
- Take Vitamin A 100,000 IU (approx 34mg) for 5 days.
- Suck a Zinc lozenge every hour for 2 days but do not take more than 150mg zinc in 24 hours.
- Eat a clove of fresh garlic three times a day or take garlic capsules. Take 2,400 – 3, 200 every day. Experts believe that a mega dose of garlic at the first sign of flu can reduce its severity.
There are so many natural antiviral remedies available that we are spoilt for choice.
Here are a few effective ones:
- Licorice root is an effective antiviral herb. Take 1,500 mg 3 times a day. More than 3 grams a day taken for more than 6 weeks can increase blood pressure in some sensitive people.
- Olive leaf is an effective killer of viruses. Take 2000mg a day. Some practitioners recommend starting on a low dose of 500mg and increasing gradually as olive leaf can kill off yeast overgrowth as well causing temporary die off reactions.
- Oil of oregano extract is the best form to take this powerful herb. A dose of 3 drops 3 times a day can help figh off the flu.
By eating and drinking wisely, getting enough exercise, sleep and relaxation, doing regular bowel cleanses and sessions of detox, avoiding as many toxins as possible in your personal care products, your home and garden you can improve your immune system against Swine Flu.