Gout sufferers who want to avoid drugs have known for years that drinking large quantities of tart cherry juice can relieve the pain and inflammation of a gout attack in a few days. In fact one report found that this simple natural health remedy may relieve pain better than aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs that can cause ulceration and bleeding of the lining of the digestive system.
Sufferers find that drinking 2 or 3 pints of concentrated cherry juice or eating half a pound of fresh or canned cherries a day can relieve a gout attack in a few days. But as too much fruit consumption or the use of fructose is thought to aggravate some types of gout it may be better to use cherry extract capsules.
Gout is a type of arthritis and is caused by an excess of uric acid crystals that accumulate in the tissues around the joints resulting in extremely painful inflammation. People with gout usually either over produce uric acid or their kidneys don’t excrete it well.
In fact diuretic drugs and low dose aspirin can cause gout as they cause reduced excretion of uric acid. Cherries or their juice work by lowering uric acid levels and the anthocyanins, pigments which are responsible for their color, reduce inflammation.
Uric acid results from the breakdown of purine a substance which is found in the cells of plants and animals. Certain foods are high in purines and these food are best avoided if you have gout. They are: organ meats such as sweetbreads, liver, heart and kidneys; game meats, shellfish, sardines, anchovies, mackerel, herring, yeast and meat extracts.
Gout may be helped by a number of dietary changes:
Alcohol increases uric acid production and reduces its excretion by the kidneys so explains why drinking alcohol is associated with causing gout attacks. If you are prone to gout avoiding alcohol is all that you may need to do to prevent attacks.
Overweight and a diet high in fat and refined carbohydrate are known to contribute to gout so reducing weight with a high fiber, low-fat, and complex carbohydrate diet will help. Protein should be adequate but not excessive keeping it low in purines.
Adequate fluid intake helps with the excretion of uric acid by the kidneys.
- Lead toxicity interferes with the ability of the kidneys to eliminate uric acid and leads to a type of gout. Plumbers who handle lead in their work can absorb lead which is toxic to the body. The use of a chelating lead agent such as liquid zeolite can help reduce lead levels.
- Doses of Vitamin C up to 4 grams a day can reduce uric acid levels.
- Quercetin 150–250 mg three times per day may inhibit the enzyme xanthine oxidase which controls the metabolism of uric acid in the same way that gout drugs do.
- EPA a fatty acid found in Omega 3 fish oils has an anti-inflammatory action. Take at least 3 grams a day. More may be needed to reduce pain. Make sure you get a make that is guaranteed free from pollutants.
- Taking 1000mg capsule of the natural health remedy cherry extract is the equivalent of eating half a pound of cherries or about 16 oz of juice. In an acute attack you can take 2000mg 3 times a day.
Lisa McDowell was so frustrated by the painful symptoms of gout that were taking over her husbands life that she spent months researching the condition. Now, many years later, she is considered to be the leading expert in the natural treatment of gout. You can discover the all natural method of preventing and treating attacks in her ebook Cure Gout Now .