Millions of women are plagued with frequent attacks of cystitis, the term used for a bladder infection. The common signs are an urgent need to pass urine and burning or pain while urinating. The usual treatment is antibiotics but many people seeking natural alternatives are finding D-mannose, a natural sugar, has revolutionized the treatment.
Causes of Cystitis
The infection is commonly caused by bacteria from the intestines and although men and boys do get cystitis it is more common in women and girls because of their anatomy. Bacteria are easily introduced into the bladder because the entrance (urethra) is so close to the anus.
Other causes are from infected urine from the kidneys and lack of estrogen in menopausal women making them more prone to bladder infections. Many naturopaths feel that constipation and liver congestion result in toxins being recirculated, overloading the kidneys and irritating the urinary tract. Bacteria should not cause a problem if the body is healthy and strong. A healthy body and and strong immune system will resist and destroy bacteria before they can take hold.
Some of the signs of cystitis are:
- Pain in the lower back
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Urgent need to urinate
- Need to urinate frequently
- Painful urination
- Burning or stinging in bladder after passing urine
- Pink or red urine
- Very cloudy urine
- Smelly urine
- Feeling chilled
Cranberry juice or extract has been a favorite natural remedy for cystitis for a long time but D-mannose is proving to be an even better solution. D-mannose can apparently cure more than 90% of all urinary tract infections (UTI’s) within one or two days. What’s more, women who are prone to repeated infections can take it quite safely as a preventative. It is an ideal natural remedy for children who like it’s sweet taste.
What is D-mannose?
D-mannose is a naturally occurring sugar (glyconutrient) that is similar to glucose which, due to its structure, the body metabolizes differently. Unlike glucose it does not cause an increase in blood sugar so it can safely be taken by diabetiics. It is found in some plants and fruit and occurs naturally in the body.
How does it work?
When d-mannose is absorbed most of it is excreted quickly through the kidneys. In simple terms the bacteria causing the infection bind to the D-mannose in preference to your bladder lining and they are flushed out in the urine. Researchers have shown that it is 10 times more effective than drinking cranberry juice and can cure or vastly improve 90 % of infections in 1 -2 days.
D-mannose is proving to be an excellent natural remedy choice as it does not cause any of the damaging side effects that you get with antibiotics. Good new for people who get frequent UTI’s and have previously had to take numerous courses of antibiotics.
What you can do to prevent cystitis and other UTI
- Drink plenty of water every day
- Eat a healthy alkaline forming diet
- Ensure your bowels work well at least twice a day
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods that can irritate the bladder.
- Don’t hang on if you feel the need to urinate
- Wipe yourself from front to back to prevent transferring bacteria from the bowel
- Use unscented and undyed toilet paper
- Do not use feminine hygiene sprays
- Look for and use unbleached pant liners and sanitary wear
- Wear cotton underwear
- Take showers instead of baths
- See an osteopath or chiropractor to make sure your spine is properly aligned.
- Reduce stress
- Take a good probiotic. It can help urinary tract health.