Mercury in Fish may be Poisoning You

Mercury is a toxic metal that has been shown to interfere with immune function, has been linked to heart disease and strokes, can damage the nervous system of unborn children and may contribute to autism.

Symptoms such as headaches, irritability, memory loss, confusion, tremors, numbness and tingling in hands and feet, loss of scalp hair, depression and metallic taste in mouth were found to be related to mercury poisoning from eating fish by one internal medicine specialist.

Tuna, marlin, shark, swordfish, Chilean sea bass and grouper are known to have high levels of mercury in their flesh but this is only one way adults and children are exposed to this toxic metal. Mothers can pass mercury to their babies prior to birth or through breast milk afterwards.

How fish become contaminated with mercury has been the subject of controversy for many years. Scientists have recently proved that mercury particles expelled as a by-product of burning coal to produce power drop into our oceans and lakes where it is accumulated by oily fish.

Hair analysis has revealed that usually people with the highest levels of mercury have the highest intake of fish. Cutting fish out of their diets reduced the levels and improved the symptoms they were getting.

Some people are good detoxifiers of mercury and once they stop the source then their bodies will slowly excrete it. Others do not readily detoxify it and need to take a substance that will chelate (latch onto) heavy metals and remove them from the body.

The danger with many substances that claim to remove metals from the body is that they can pick up the toxin from one place but deposit it somewhere else such as the brain and then pick up another metal instead

Liquid Zeolite is an amazing substance that will trap mercury and bring it out of the body safely. Zeolite appears to increase the function of one of the liver’s detox pathways releasing the toxins through the urine.

Zeolite’s binding power was proven during the Chernobyl disaster, when tons of it were used to remove radioactive cesium and strontium-90 before they contaminated local water systems.

If you value your health avoid the large fish that are known to accumulate mercury and reduce intake of other fish if it is high. Children, pregnant women and those trying for a baby are advised to avoid tuna, marlin, shark and swordfish.


One thought on “Mercury in Fish may be Poisoning You

  1. Excellent recommendations and warnings. People should be aware of both the risks and benefits of seafood. The decision of what fish to eat can be a challenge and often contradictory. At the very least, people should know that FDA and EPA have issued advisories about mercury contamination in commonly-sold fish. The problem is, this information is hard to find and is not usually available where it is most necessary: your supermarket.

    Oceana, a conservation group, is trying to get major grocery companies to post this government advice at their seafood counters. Thanks, in part to their work, Whole Foods, Safeway stores, and Wild Oats voluntarily agreed to post the FDA’s recommendations and they have had positive responses from customers and no loss in seafood sales. But other companies like Wal-Mart, Costco, and Giant have refused to do so. Oceana has a list of which companies care about their customers’ health enough to post this advice, as well as a list of companies that don’t. You can get the Green List and Red List at their website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.