Restless legs is a condition where there is a very strong urge to move one or both of your legs. You could have other feelings as well that have been described as crawling, tingling, itching or pulling sensations. Moving the legs can give relief even if only for a short time. Doctors usually prescribe drugs but they don’t get to the root cause of the problem, consequently many people are asking if there is a restless legs natural cure.
The problem is a real disorder that as many as 10% of people may suffer with and its technical term is Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). The feelings usually occur when you are sitting or lying down and is usually worse at night. It’s a very distressing condition especially if it disturbs your sleep. Rubbing, massage and hot or cold applications and herbal remedies have helped some people but none of them provide a lasting natural cure.
Causes of Restless leg Syndrome
The syndrome can be primary or secondary.
Primary is where no underlying cause can be found and the problem is believed to be genetic. However there is a lot of evidence that genes will only predispose you to a condition. It is what you do to your genes that counts. There has been a lot of research on identical twins where one will go on to get a disease that they carry a gene for and the other does not. So you
cannot put it all down to genes. If you treat your genes well they will treat you well.
Secondary is where the underlying cause is found. There are a number of things that can cause the syndrome:
- Iron deficiency has been put forward as an underlying cause but it seems that taking iron supplements is not the solution although some people with proven iron deficiency have had some temporary relief when they improved their iron levels.One study indicated that the middle brain the area thought to be associated with the condition lacked iron receptors.
- Folic acid deficiency- low levels of this B vitamin have been found in some people with the syndrome. Eat more green leafy vegetables.
- Food intolerance – identifying foods that you are intolerant to and avoiding them can improve symptoms.
- Pregnancy – some women get RLS for the first time during the last 3 months of pregnancy. Hormonal changes are thought to be involved.
- Nerotransmitter imbalance – some researchers think it could be due to low levels of the brain chemical dopamine. Some laboratories now do neurotransmitter testing through urine samples.
- Drug side effects – RLS can occur in some people who take antidepressants, antipsychotics, dopamine antagonists, antihistamines, calcium channel blockers, anti-seizure drugs like phenytoin or steroids.
- Symptom of other conditions. – people with kidney failure, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, and underactive thyroid may also suffer from restless legs.
Restless Legs Natural Cure
- Avoiding caffeine from coffee, tea, cola beverages, cocoa from all sources including chocolate has helped some people.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Avoid foods that you are allergic or intolerant to.
- Increase walking – take long daily walks every day.
- Try supplementing nutrients – some experts have recommended the following nutrients:Folic acid 5,000-20,000 micrograms ( this is a very high dose of folic acid and taking it could mask a B12 deficiency. Have your doctor check your B12 levels before taking it at this level)
Iron 18 mg ( only take if you have a deficiency as it is dangerous to take iron if you don’t need it)
Magnesium 400 mg
Vitamin E 100-400 IU
Ribose 5 grams twice a day for 2 months
- Aaron’s cure – Aaron, a former restless leg sufferer has discovered a cure that works in minutes and does not rely on drugs like Requip and Mirapex, dietary changes, supplements, biofeedback or hypnosis.To find out more about it Click Here!