Doctors at Belfast City Hospital, Ireland, recently reported the case of a young girl whose hand warts were cured with the Natural Health Remedy Tea Tree Oil. The warts had completely disappeared in only 12 days after the Tea Tree Oil was applied to them daily.
Tea Tree Oil is derived from the Australian tree Melaleuca Alterfolia and is noted for its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. There is not much scientific evidence that it can eradicate the Human Papillovirus that causes warts although a study for the Australian Government in 2005 confirmed that the oil had significant anti-viral activity.
Warts are small growths of the top layer of skin or mucous membrane and caused by a local virus. The virus infects the skin cells if there is break in the outer protective layer and causes them to multiply. The growths appear as round, hard, dome shaped thickened areas of skin and may be isolated or appear in clusters.
Warts can occur anywhere on the body including the face, tongue, throat, hands, soles of the feet (plantar warts) and genital areas. They are very common in children and young adults due to their immature immune systems but can occur at any age.
Tea Tree Oil is used extensively in shampoos, skin preparations, toothpastes and household products because of its antiseptic properties. People have used it to treat acne, spots on the skin, boils, athlete’s foot, gingivitis, insect bites, ringworm, impetigo and infections of the nail bed and vagina.
Although the essential oil is very safe to use and can be used neat on the skin Australian dermatologists commonly see cases of allergic contact dermatitis to Tea Tree. If you have a sensitive skin it is best to dilute the oil 50/50 with almond oil or aloe vera gel. If it causes any skin irritation then stop using it.
According to reports I have seen on forums not everyone has had success with using Tea Tree oil for warts. Results may take weeks if not months and it is important to apply the oil every day.
Types of warts
- Common warts. Usually found on fingers, hands, knees, and elbows. They have a rough raised surface that may look like the head of a cauliflower, with black dots inside. The dots are just tiny blood vessels.
- Flat warts, also called juvenile warts. These vary in size but are usually quite small, are smoother than other kinds of warts, have flat tops and may itch. Flat warts may be pink, light brown, or yellow. Often grow on the face or backs of hands but can grow in other areas and can appear in clusters.
- Filiform warts. These have a finger-like projections, are usually flesh-colored, and often grow on the scalp, face and neck.
- Plantar warts. Found on the bottom of the foot. Can appear to be growing into the skin from the constant pressure on them. Plantar warts can be very uncomfortable – like walking on a small stone and may look like a yellow callus.
- Genital warts – occur in the genital areas. The warts are usually softer and can grow rapidly into cauliflower like shapes and may form clusters. They can itch and can be very troublesome if they grow in the vagina or on the cervix, the neck of the womb.
Can Warts Be Prevented?
Although there’s no way to prevent warts, it’s always a good idea to encourage kids to wash their hands and skin regularly and well. If your child cuts or scratches his or her skin, be sure to use soap and water to clean the area because open wounds are more susceptible to warts and other infections.
It’s also wise to have your child wear waterproof sandals or flip-flops in public showers, locker rooms, and around public pools (this can help protect against plantar warts and other infections, like athlete’s foot, too).
How Long Do Warts Last?
About 25% of warts are gone in about 6 months without treatment, but most go away in 2 to 3 years. With treatment, warts may be removed more quickly, but can return if the virus isn’t completely removed from the skin.
Alternative Natural Health Remedy
If you don’t have success with Tea Tree Oil you might like to try another natural health remedy that Charles Davidson, an alternative medical practitioner and natural remedies expert with a specialization in skin care used to get rid of his warts & moles very quickly. His ALL NATURAL method works to warts & moles, or skin tags permanently. Click Here