Yeast infections, also know as thrush or candida are not just a woman’s problem. Men and women of all ages, babies and children can be affected by yeast infections.
Besides the familiar vaginal yeast infections that women often get yeast infections can occur as:
- Skin rashes such as athlete’s foot
- Diaper or nappy rash
- Jock’s Itch – groin skin infections
- Oral thrush – white spots on the tongue and in mouth
- Fungal nail infection
- Prostatitis – inflammation of the prostate galnd
- Sinus infection – can be fungal
- Intestinal yeast overgrowth
Yeasts normally live on and in your body. It is when they overgrow and get out of balance with the other bacteria that they cause symptoms and are referred to as an infection. Your body’s immune system and the good bacteria that live on the skin and in the digestive system normally keep the yeasts in check.
The things that cause yeast to overgrow are:
- Lowered immunity eg when you have a viral infection
- Mercury from amalgam fillings in teeth is believed to destroy good bacteria in the bowel.
- Use of steroids suppress the immune system
- Increased estrogen (oestrogen) from hormone treatment
- Nutrient deficient diets high in sugar and refined foods
When the yeast levels in your body increases you may get all sorts of symptoms. Here are some of them: Nail Fungus, vaginal yeast, itchy skin, abdominal bloating, excess gas and wind, cravings for sweet foods, fatigue, brain fog, depression, heart burn, low libido and vaginitis.
Conventional medicine treats yeast infections with anti-fungal medicines however when people get recurrent lowgrade infections the drugs do nothing to prevent the infection returning. You have to alter the conditions in your body that allowed the infection to flourish and recurr:
- Alter your diet to avoid sugar itself and sugar contained in products that feeds the yeast.
- Avoid simple carbohydrates for the same reason as well as alcohol.
- Concentrate on good quality free range meat and plenty of green and low carbohydrate vegetables
- Take a high potency multistrain beneficial bacteria as probiotic capsules or powder to help restore digestive health or a candida scavenger such as Lactobacillus Sporogenes.
- Take a multivitamin mineral supplement and antioxidant to help support the immune system.
- Take antifungal herbs – Some herbs that have been found to be useful to control candida are: Neem Leaf, Oregano Leaf or extract, Berberine Sulphate, Undecylenate (from castor beans), Grapefruit seed extract, Horopito.
- Keep your pH balanced. The herbs Cymbopogon Citratus, Calendula Officinalis and Pau d’arco have been combined in a natural health remedy to help keep the body’s pH in balance so candida cannot overgrow.Get More Info on Candidate for Candidiasis, Candida and Yeast Infections